Essential Oil Blends for Anxiety
Anxiety is a normal and often healthy emotion characterized by feelings of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome or as a reaction to something that has happened in the past.
The use of essential oils can be used complementary approach to managing anxiety.
Disclaimer: Essential oils are not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment but can be used as a complement to other treatment solutions. It is recommended that you talk to your trusted medical advisor about ongoing anxiety.
Understanding Essential Oils
Essential oils are concentrated liquids extracted from plants that capture their scent and flavor, or "essence." Obtained through distillation or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing, essential oils are used in various applications due to their aromatic and therapeutic properties.
(See our full explanation of essential oils and their common uses here)
How essential oils can influence mood and emotional well-being
Essential oils can change how we feel when we smell them because they interact with the limbic system through our noses. They also potentially provide systemic effects when absorbed through the skin with topical applications.
For example, smelling lavender might make us feel calm, while citrus scents, like orange, can make us feel happy and energized and physical alleviation (e.g., relief from muscular tension) might indirectly foster improved mood and relaxation.
Choosing high-quality essential oils is crucial because purity and composition can significantly impact their efficacy and safety. High-quality oils are typically derived through careful distillation and extraction processes that preserve the integrity of the aromatic compounds. Low-quality oils might be adulterated with synthetic compounds or impurities, which can diminish their benefits and potentially cause adverse reactions. Insert Young Living standard here.
Essential Oils that Can Ease Symptoms of Anxiety
- Camomile is known for its soothing and relaxing effects
- Cedarwood is used for its grounding and calming properties
- Bergamot is has an uplifting and calming nature
- Frankincense can induce feelings of peace and relaxation
- Lavender is known for its calming properties
- Lemon is known for its refreshing and mood-boosting aroma
- Marjoram is a powerful mood stabilizer
- Sweet Orange has uplifting and anxiety-reducing properties
- Valerian aids relaxing the mind and providing a grounding effect
Get Lavender, Lemon, Frankincense, Stress Away, Peace & Calming, & 7 more in the Premium Starter Bundle. Use promo code SHAREYL to give 10 percent off all first-time orders.
Essential Oil Blends for Anxiety
(See the Guide to blending essential oils here)
1. Calming Lavender Mix
Essential Oils: Lavender, Chamomile, and Sweet Orange
Blend: Start with a ratio of 2:2:1 (Lavender:Chamomile:Sweet Orange) as a starting point however the perfect ratio might vary according to personal scent preferences, so don’t hesitate to adjust it as you explore the blend.
In a Diffuser
3-5 drops of the essential oil blend can be added to a diffuser and then fill to fill line with water depending on its size and the manufacturer's instructions. Use 2 drops Lavender, 2 drops Chamomile and 1 drop Sweet Orange.
For safe skin application, a general guideline is to dilute essential oils to about 12 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce (30 mL) of carrier oil (like jojoba - i prefer this one, almond, or coconut oil). After ensuring your blend is diluted properly with a carrier oil, you can apply it to the skin.
- Common application sites include the wrists, behind the ears, or on the temples. For relaxation or sleep, consider applying to the bottoms of the feet. I like to fill a roller ball with the essential oil mix.
- Avoid sensitive areas like eyes and mucous membranes.
- Always perform a patch test before full application to avoid skin irritations.
2. Uplifting Citrus Burst
Essential Oils: Bergamot, Lemon, and Frankincense
Blend: A suggested starting ratio is 2:2:1 (Bergamot:Lemon:Frankincense) for a balanced blend that’s both uplifting and calming, adjusting as per your scent preference.
In a Diffuser
Generally, 3-5 drops of your essential oil blend can be used in a diffuser, with variances based on diffuser size and manufacturer instructions. Mix 2 drops Bergamot, 2 drops Lemon, and 1 drop Frankincense.
If opting for direct inhalation, ensure to dilute the oils in a carrier oil even if using an inhaler stick to avoid potential irritation. A typical dilution might be 10-15 drops total essential oil blend per 1 ounce (30 mL) of carrier oil.
- One way is to add a few drops of the blend to a bowl of hot (not boiling) water, then lean over the bowl, covering your head and the bowl with a towel, and inhale deeply for a few minutes.
- Alternatively, place 1-2 drops of the diluted blend onto a cotton ball or inhale stick and take several deep breaths, ensuring it's not too strong or irritating.
3. Peaceful Forest Escape
Essential Oils: Cedarwood, Pine, and Frankincense
Blend: A balanced starting point is a ratio of 2:2:1 (Cedarwood:Pine:Frankincense). This provides a grounding yet refreshing blend, combining calming and invigorating properties.
- Mix 2 drops Cedarwood, 2 drops Pine, and 1 drop Frankincense.
- Ensure your blend is properly diluted with a carrier oil as per the general guideline above.12 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce (30 mL) of carrier oil (like almond, coconut, or jojoba oil).
- Apply to pulse points, temples, or the back of the neck, ensuring you avoid sensitive areas like eyes and mucous membranes. I like to fill essential oil roller with the blend.
Always perform a patch test on a small area of skin to ensure there is no adverse reaction.
See the Guide on How to Use Essential Oil Blends Safely
Creating a relaxing environment can further aid anxiety relief. Along with diffusing essential oils use soft lighting, declutter spaces, and incorporate soothing colors to craft a calming physical environment. Play soft, serene music or nature sounds to enhance relaxation. Also practicing meditation, yoga, or mindful breathing while using essential oils. can also help alieviate the symptoms of anxiety.
This diffuser has a soft light effect and plays relaxing tones to further enhance the use of these essential oil blends. You can also get it in the
Reminder: Essential oils are a complementary tool and should not replace professional healthcare.
Use this link and then the promo code SHAREYL to give 10 percent off all first-time orders.
Share your favorite essential oil blends and experiences in the comments and let us know which of these is your favorite.
Be sure to subscribe for more wellness tips and ideas.
Provide links to other posts and link to resources page here.
You don't have to do this alone!
Join me on your wellness journey with inspiration and motivation delivered straight to your inbox. We all get so busy so I'll bring all the good stuff straight to you!
We hate SPAM. Unsubscribe at any time.